Thursday, July 14, 2011

fringe freak

So again it is the season of the fringe and so tonight I again partook in a free fringe show.

I know I've said it before, but my strategy at the fringe is to see the worst shows possible solely for my own entertainment in making fun of them later. Most free shows fit this mould.

I hate street performers. I don't find them at all entertaining and nearly everyone has the same jokes. I just think some of their gags are really lame and gimick-y and I just don't find it funny after every single person tells the same jokes. The make these lame comments about how "amazing" their trick are - yeah, if I didn't have a job I could probably learn how to do that to. If I had an act it would be me just bitching for a half hour on stage about things - it's what I'm good at.

Another thing - my biggest fear is getting called out in an audience. I am the very last person that wants to volunteer to be on stage. I don't like having that attention drawn to me because I don't like the stupid comments the entertainers make. Last summer I had the 'honour' of being selected to pull come guys sleeve off of his shirt in some weird stripping ritual, I don't quite remember the details. Perhaps I have tried to wipe it from my memory. I just remember him making dumb comments and me getting to hold on to his nasty sweaty sleeve. No thank you sir, I don't want to hold on to this.

Here is another fun fact about myself. When I was 17, back when I had black hair I went to a little place called universal studios during a trip to the wonderful state of california. So whilst awaiting a show that talked about special effects I was approached to be an audience participant. I reluctantly agreed because I didn't want to be a d* about it. My parents (well my mother) was pretty pumped. She still to this day says "I don't think so grandma" at least once every two weeks because one of the effects I had to demonstrate was the greenscreen, and so they put me into the movie the klumps and that was my line.

There was more stuff I had to do but I guess that was most notable. Needless to say - no more audience participation from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment