Wednesday, July 13, 2011

old clothes




What's this you may ask...well there is a blanket, and old duffle bag, and two and a half garbage bags filled with clothes. See the thing is that I love clothes, and in the past 22 years have amassed quite the collection - not that I have things from 22 years ago.

I have officially moved home now, as opposed to having half a life in Ontario, including all sorts of stuff there and I have discovered that I do not have enough room for all my stuff. I have issues because I have memories associated with all my clothes.

I started packing things up and moving them downstairs when I first moved back home for the summer. I guess moving them downstairs to the basement has proved to me that I don't need those things. Sadly when I packed them away it meant that I was reminded of all the memories associate with these clothes. To me they are not just things that I purchase. With all my clothes I can remember exactly where I got them, unless I got them on a trip and don't remember the name of the store. I can also remember roughly how much I paid for them. It makes me mad that there was some stuff that I barely wore, and other things had simply gone out of style, or I have grown to large for them as a result of poor eating habits and inactive lifestyle.

Anyways. I was wondering if anyone else finds it difficult to rid yourself of old clothes. I especially hate getting rid of things like old sports clothes because they are like memories. I did get rid of an old volleyball sweater from when I was 15, and my phoenix track jacket as well as my provincial soccer team track pants. It's true - I don't need them anymore, but I want to be able to remember these times in my life.

I would consider myself a keeper and slight hoarder, not because I think they may be useful, but because it's something I can keep that is almost better than a picture because it conjures something physical from that time and encompasses a wide variety of memories and not simply one point in time.

The good news is that some lucky person is going to get to keep these items. I always hope to see someone walking down the street wearing something that was once mine. I'd feel cool about that.

2 comments:

  1. i remember where i got all my clothes too- it almost annoys me when someone says "i don't remember" when i ask them where they got something hah. but i'm the same- i shan't get rid of some things purely for nostalgia sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a pack rat. It's difficult to get rid of stuff for nostalgic reasons! I have a full drawer of old t shirts I don't need, Movie tickets, Concert tickets, receipts even! USELESS RECEIPTS! It may be a problem for me...

    ReplyDelete