Thursday, September 13, 2012

The underreaction

So if you don't know me I will tell you now - I love seeing things. As in new things, as in important historical places.

I would like to say that I have been somewhat of a history nerd my whole life - but boy when I'm in europe do I feel stupid. I cannot remember anything that I have learned and it drives me crazy.

But when it comes to seeing significantly important historical places I always find that I am lost for words. Like I literally feel like there is not enough that I could say that will deeply enough express the feelings that I want to get out.

Being in Italy this last weekend was just another thousand places for me to have these reactions.

This is the house where I was staying

Thank goodness I was with a friend who can truly understand these passions that I have towards learning and seeing things - and is totally down with helping me express my wanderlust.

She's fantastic

But seeing the sights in Rome was literally the oldest stuff that I have ever seen. Like holy smokes - I was walking where billions of people have walked for more than two thousand years.

The duomo in orvieto - I was informed that I would "die"
when I saw it...nearly did
The problem however was that I was a little bit ill. I will not hide the fact that I had done like the Romans and enjoyed my fair share of wine. However, I did the majority of my enjoyment on the first two nights. Sunday night I only partook in a lemoncello nightcap and was up around 8 the next morning. That night I had also eaten the most unbelievable pizza of my life (pizza bianco with truffle, mushrooms, and sausage) and was completely full. Everything on the menu looked so good that I actually was physically unable to answer when my friend asked me what I was thinking of everything. I just had to giggle.

Anyways I woke up not hungry at all, and had a nice cappuccino - then we headed up to the piazza for another coffee. It seemed that I had not had enough other stuff in my stomach because it wasn't before long that I wasn't feeling that well. I was on the train and debating going for a puke. Like just get it over with. I bought some water and pounded that back and it helped moderately. About twenty minutes away from Rome I had to "give back the water" and I figured it might not be a bad idea to puke a little. I would call that mostly unsuccessful.

Needless to say I was feeling terrible. Also being in Rome it was clear that I was going to see some cool stuff. I was really excited about it, and so I decided that instead of trying to over express my feelings for everything I was going to try and take everything down a notch and under react. In a sense I wanted to change the scale. Instead of being a nine out of ten I was going to be a 90 out of 100. I hope this makes sense...

But boy did I sound like an asshole.

Oh neat the colosseum...oh wow the forum.

I also decided to take the pictures in the least joyful way possible.

Looking completely disinterested at the Forum
Literally could not care less (not really)


But needless to say - it was amazing and Sometimes it is fun to react in a non-typical way.

No comments:

Post a Comment