Wednesday, September 5, 2012

peace and quiet

I don't think I have ever been able to accept this really until this year - but I actually concentrate way better when things are quieter.

I have two colleagues that I really don't think they realize how well they talk. They are nice people and I have no issues working with them, but they are just loud people. It is very difficult for me to concentrate to concentrate on my own work because I end up listening to part of their conversations, but they both are very difficult to understand. Luckily one of them moved to a different office about a month ago and then the second was on holidays.

Well she's back and it is loud again.

I think that I used to just use studying as an excuse to listen to music and I could never just accept the quiet. But I have now realized that I was using that as an excuse not to study. I would consistently be thrown off my concentration depending on the song, and then I would want to sing along. I tried for some way to make it work because I loved the music more than I loved the studying. Obviously who wouldn't.

Now I love working in the quiet, except I hate when it's completely quiet and you feel like you are hearing things and then you never know if you are really hearing things or whether or not your head is trying to make you hear something because you hear nothing and you don't want to go crazy!

I still can't fall asleep without noise though. Yay for podcasts!

It's really to bad I didn't realize this about 4 years ago when I started university...

1 comment:

  1. I'm a full on quiet-time study person. If I have music playing I end up day dreaming or typing the words of the song instead of what I mean to say.

    ReplyDelete