Sunday, December 9, 2012

Being alone does not mean I'm lonely

I am sure that I have mentioned my enjoyment of doing things alone before...and I want to talk about it again, because I enjoy being a broken record without new ideas....ha ha ha, but seriously.

I am literally my favourite person to hang out with. I love the freedom of doing whatever I want to do.

I also love the freedom of being able to meet new people. I think being alone has perhaps made me a very self-confident person. Being alone in Germany and having to make my own friends has certainly encouraged me to become braver in this aspect.

I remember the first time I went to see a movie by myself and being totally weirded out about it, but now I would not hesitate to do this - however there are rarely movies I actually want to see in theatres (they need to be worth my money cinematically or else I'll just wait).

Nowadays I have no qualms about engaging in activities by myself. One thing I don't like though is that I am still reliant on my iPod to keep me occupied. This isn't a horrible thing, but I should be able to enjoy things from my environment - but I love that I have the excuse of going on a two hour walk and being able to listen to my music the whole time (and loudly!).

I will tell people at work about how I went out on the weekend to the Krone (the local bar) and saw a band and an old man asked me if I would be interested in becoming the mother of his children (true story) - and they asked who I was with...no one. I love going with now one. I enjoy these conversations that occur spontaneously - even if I don't ever learn someones name I still enjoy the time with them.

I do worry though that I may at some point become to anti-social. There are already awkward times when I know my friends are not doing anything and I'm doing something they would enjoy and then to explain that I'd rather go alone.

I really do prefer to eat alone, because I find eating in a one on one basis a little awkward because the eating gets in the way of talking and the talking gets in the way of eating and enjoying my food. At best I love to bring a book, or sometimes just stare at the passers by. Drinks however is no problem. I'm always down for a drink - although I have been known to go drinking beer solo in summer as well.

I wish I that I enjoyed people more but I just like myself the best. -

Only child syndrome I guess.
I found this on tumblr - and it's perfect! (although I'm not sure if I'm scared of someone running away)


No comments:

Post a Comment