Saturday, April 19, 2014

Putting the east back in easter

Around christmas time there seem to be a lot of campaigns about "putting christ back in christmas". I am totally for these. I think however that I have become quite cynical in holidays, and I think this is likely because the true meaning for celebrating isn't the reason that people are celebrating by the majority of the people. In this I mean, people that aren't christians are celebrating. I just always wonder what kids who are raised in secular homes think that the day celebrates. I actually can't quite wrap my head around why non-christians celebrate. I mean I appreciate having the time off, and it is good to have holidays in order to spend time with family. I think in todays age and society, holidays are times to celebrate ourselves more than anything.

To me personally I feel that easter is so much more of an important holiday than christmas. It is naturally important that our christ and saviour was born, but we needed him to take our sins on and die, otherwise we would be no closer to God than we were earlier. But at the same time, I do not believe that one day in my life is more important than another in the eyes of God. Naturally I will have high and low points, but I do not believe in holy days. I think they are nice to use in order to perhaps centre spiritual journeys and ideas, but I cannot just not think about the resurrection in four months. It is as important today as every day. These days are perhaps good times for us to dig deeper into specific themes related to the story and it's nice to have it come conclusion on the fest day. This is another reason I don't understand people going to church on holidays. The day really should be so arbitrary. God is equally important every day. Even on a tuesday....

But I don't understand, where are the housewives and conservatives arguing about easter....??

I was thinking about my faith today, and I think that one of the reasons that I believe is because everything that God represents are things that are so important to me. Why would I ever want to live in a world without them. I also don't believe that these things are mutually exclusive. I think that without God would mean that these things don't exist. I can't believe that we are here by chance. I read yesterday the quote from Albert Camus which really summed of perfectly how I feel at the moment about things in general. “I think my life is of great importance, but I also think it is meaningless.” I just something have a tough time placing God in this world because sometimes the worlds just seem to different, but I have resolved myself to the fact that I will have to keep pushing, and keep searching for more answers, because satisfaction would never be attainted in giving up and settling.

No comments:

Post a Comment