Wednesday, February 26, 2014

monuments men

A couple weeks ago buzz feed posted something about a whole bunch of military artifacts that are being kept in storage. I didn't have any interest until there was a little blurb about actual artwork from Hitler himself. I thought this was compelling so I clicked further. There was a little video clip from the documentary that shows this art work, which has been seen by very few people (I mean really....where and how does one post such things, but one also cannot destroy them). The documentary, the rape of europa (great name, considering this is also a famous work of art), details the story of nazis stealing treasured art works during the war and the resistance against this. It was soo interesting. I give it a high recommendation.

The film monuments men is based on this same story. I literally just looked at the cast at christmas, saw the tag line and I was sold. So tonight, I was able to see it, in english, in Germany.

I will start off by saying - the story is so interesting and the whole concept of the film is amazing. Somehow though, it all seemed a little bit to Disney (although not disney), and very sensationalized.

Some observations:
There was no need for a love story. That is not what this story was about.

The film in general had a very "f yeah, america!"-vibe. I had initially invited a friend to go with me but she expressed hesitation, because she is sick of seeing movies about how americans are the heroes. I felt quite sympathetic towards the Germans during this, and understood now what my friend said. There were definitely jokes that would go over much easier in North America, but I think that everyone here knows enough of the devastation that Germany experienced during the war that little jokes seemed cruel. I recognize the hostility, but I felt rubbed the wrong way, and I am sure I wasn't the only one in that theatre.

Further on that note, there never seems to be movies that are Pro-German in the war. I would like to see more about people who were scared and didn't know what to do and didn't have the courage to resist. I think that would be an interesting story. To experience some of the manipulation and the thought pattern of the people being influenced by propaganda.

I think it is interesting that the americans became the champions of art. When you think about it today, europe seems much more cultural and historic than america. This makes it interesting that they were the ones here preserving. I mean, if not them then who? Thanks for saving the art, but I think there was a distinct lack to what the europeans did for themselves, especially the italians, and the french who were hiding works from the louvre throughout the countryside. Then I think about the art of america and importance there. Significantly less funding. I think this is why such a difference is noticed between these continents.

So would I recommend this film. Not really, but I do not regret seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment