Friday, April 27, 2012

Possibly the biggest news EVER!!

I have been having a difficult time thinking of clever ways for me to start this news, or how to tell my friends my news. As my opa thought...no I am no engaged...

I got a job!!!


And it is in Germany!!!



That's my celebratory  cheers!!

Yes...it's true.

So for all of you that just came for the news, you can stop reading...for the rest of you who want to hear about the process you may continue reading!!

First off I want to say it was not easy keeping a secret from the world. I was actually offered the Job on tuesday and I wanted to shout it from the mountain tops. I feel bad that I have to tell you the through a blog and through facebook...but I figured this was the best way - and if you really don't care about me..a. delete me off facebook b. don't read this blog

Please think of this as an intimate conversation between the two of us...

So it started off after you all know in the last post when I talked to my boss about having to grow up and get a real job...then this tuesday he invited me into the office and said (to sum up) - hey we want you to work here! And me being a responsible person, and starting to grow up remained cool on the outside but freaked out a little on the inside. 

So the position I was offered (and am taking) is similar to the job I am doing now, but with more responsibility and he sees me being responsible for larger customer groups. 

It was funny because today at work I started telling people about me continuing to work here and one lady was like, you are going to have to learn how to answer phones. Ma'am I know how to answer phones...I don't know how to speak German!! But a phone would be great...

I of course did a little plus and minus of the situation and it was clear that the pluses of staying far outweighed the minuses. I get industry experience in something, I can do the job and learn German, build my network and it's a good company! 

I think my biggest insecurity was the 'what-ifs' of the situation. Like what if this job is just settling, because I really don't need a university education for the job. I also don't know how much opportunity there will be to grow. And of course I will miss home!! The worst though was not being able to work at the golf course...I LOVE that job, but I have to be realistic and realize that it's also not a job I can do forever, especially not in winnipeg. One of my goals for the summer was to move out of my parents house. This was an end goal because it involved so many little goals, mainly finding a job.

I think the most difficult thing was that I have to be an adult and make a decision. It just sucks because there are SOO many things to think about. My contract is also only until the end of december, but naturally I will have the opportunity to extend it..but I really don't know how I will feel then and whether or not staying will be in my plans. This also affects big decisions like where I want to live and buying furniture..etc.

This is one of the biggest decisions I have ever had to made and I immediately spoke with both my my parents and syl and belec the night I was offered, I usually respect their ideas and I know they will help me make a reasonable decision. Mother was no help...she simply told me she wasn't going to say one way or another, then today she emailed me about the tax benefits of staying in manitoba. C'mon lady!! She's so logical it drives me nuts. Then I spoke with a stranger on the bus who was a canadian. I of course love talking to strangers so I spoke with her the whole ride home from work...she was clearly a sign, because she had also never met another canadian in darmstadt! Then I met with a work colleague of mine afterwork and we had a wonderful vapiano dinner and then had ice cream...new favourite flavour is Engel Blau (angel blue). And she is totally awesome in helping me think about things and I was fairly confident in my decision when I spoke with her, but after I felt like I didn't have to think about the decision anymore because it seemed to make itself.

I am really excited, especially because this means I'll get to do some ikea shopping!!

Also - I will be here for Euro 2012, which is going to be nuts!!!

and...I get to go back to Oktoberfest...decent..

you all better start planning your trips out here!

and plans to hang out when I'm home! - **(later addition) I should be more explicit and tell you that I will be home from May 13th until June 10th-ish....

5 comments:

  1. YAY D!! that is friggen awesome!! I am so proud of you!! This is an amazing opportunity for you and we all know how sad you were about having to leave Germany! And hey, if worst comes to worst, its only until December! Love you!! Skype soon! xoxo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! Good on ya! Congrats lady friend. Guess you won't be moving in with me this summer hah. But it's always awesome to have a friend in Europe for bragging rights. So thanks for that :) I guess you won't be here for October then either......... Have a beer for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that kills me that I won't be here. I love weddings and I never get to go because I'm to busy being selfish and living out my dreams!

    But then you can just come visit

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didnt read all of this because i'm too distraught and upset and heartbroken that you are not coming back to winnipeg.

    i hate you, but i love you more. i'm very happy for you, but am being selfish.

    congrats, but know that i am sad. at least i can come visit you whenever i want!!

    but really, that's awesome. i love you very much.

    signed
    katie katchnoski

    ReplyDelete
  5. CHEA! That's what you really wanted to do though right? ... to work/live in Germany. And ya, it's only till December and you'll for sure know what you want to do when that time comes. All I'm saying is: GET EURO 2012 tickets and I may just quit my job and go with you... just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete