Saturday, August 4, 2012

one of those times where everything fits in together really well

Last night I was at the Mathildenhöhe here in Darmstadt because I remembered there was supposed to be some music going down. It's funny because on my walk/jog home I have been seeing posters for the Residenzfestspiele. TO be honest, I don't know what exactly this festival is celebrating since I have not done any reasearch into that at all. I just saw that there were some concerts, and there I love music, so I figured hey, maybe there will be some free concerts. I hate it when people stare at me, and you know that when people are driving they always stare at the people on the side of the road. I do it. I think it's because I always look to see if it is someone I know. Anyways I did remember that there was a concert last night. So I dressed in a nice long skirt so I could sit unlady-like and headed on down.

It was very interesting because they had the actual concert area closed off because you needed to buy tickets to get in...but wait...it's an outdoor concert. Just because one area is roped off it doesn't mean the sound is going to stop at the boundaries. It simply left a great opportunity for me and about 45-50 other people could sit outside and enjoy the same music for free. It was clear that some people had planned their evening and came prepared with some snacks and some wine....should have thought of that.

It was just so nice to sit outside and enjoy the sounds of vienna. I had however planned ahead and brought along the biography of marie antoinette with me (I have been reading this book for way to long). But it was the perfect book to have along with me because it fit into everything perfectly!

First, I started reading about mozart while they were playing mozart. Mozart later on in his career tried to get back into the royal court at versailles, but due to political reason was not accepted. Then he insulted french music (actually I think it was his father) Also interesting because Marie antoinette could have possibly been listening to the same pieces that I was hearing last night. When she was younger and living in austria as well as when she was older and was hosting fantabulous galas....

Secondly, she had the connection to Darmstadt because her old friends (ladies in waiting) from when she was younger were the doughters of the landgrave of Darmstadt. One of the friends came later on to visit her at the Petit Trianon where she adopted her more 'simple' lifestyle; where protocol wasn't so strict.

I have always felt like people don't really understand Darmstadt and it's not a city that really comes up a lot and just like when I see winnipeg in popular culture I got excited.

In gerneral it was such a nice evening that I hope I will be able to replicate again with some more outdoor concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment