Sunday, July 4, 2010

july split long weekend

So last time I blgged was canada day. This weekend I guess you could call the Canada long-ish weekend. I enjoyed it very much. last thursday on a recommendation I downloaded the new b.o.b album, after reading about a friend recommending one song. Instead of downloading that one song I figured I might as well download the whole thing. I then decided to have a bath and I started off by playing a song that featured another new favorite Janelle Monae. Song name - The Kids. Turns out it takes the hook and samples a bit from the VAMPIRE WEEKEND SONG - the Kids are alright. I believe that will be a new summer staple for me. It's weird what kind of music is popular right now. It's sort of ballad-y kind of stuff but it's also very commercial sounding, but the melodies in songs are just so pleasing to my ears despite being very simplisitc lyrically and musically.

So that started off a great weekend. Work was steadily busy friday so the day went by pretty quickly. Then in the evening I went to the musical Rent on Rainbow Stage with my mother and cousins and aunt and mother's friend. It was SOO enjoyable. It had everything as I told some "girls kissing boys, girls kissing girls, boys kissing boys, boys dressed like girls." But the singing was just unbelievable. Sometimes when you are at musicals the actors get a little bit over ambitious with their singing and it almost hurts to listen to...but in this case it was not an issue. Everyone performed their parts so well, and it makes me want to listen to all the songs again.

Saturday we headed up to our family friends cabin and I have only just returned. I am a little sunburned which was a goal of the weekend. I love to feel some sense of accomplishment. Summer is such a strange time of year where basically all I have to do is work for what is realistically a short period of time before returning to school so I've really tried to set a list of things I want to accomplish in the summer just to keep me motivated in doing things. This includes the ukelele playing, getting a tan, reading books. Try to maybe minimize screen time.

I will be even more depressed next week though. Folk festival is on the weekend and I have nothing big to look forward to after that...maybe my parents going on vacation...

No comments:

Post a Comment