Friday, July 30, 2010

like a bird in a cage I broke in and demanded that somebody free it

So I was thinking about the 70s. As in the 1970s.

I don't know about you fellow readers, but a lot of my friends, myself included are just so enthralled with the idea of being around in the 70s. I think the movie Dazed and Confused best encapsulates the experience I would have loved to have with my life. It's also weird because it was the era our parents were growing up in. I wonder if they realize now how good they had it, and whether or not we are over-glamourizing their time. I think what I look back and wish for the most from that era is the music, the clothes, and I think just the general freedom I feel that people had. I feel like back in the day people just took things way less seriously and there were less cares, but maybe people just cared about different things. I also think family life was a lot more different and there was a lot more nuclear families (mom, dad, brother, sister)

So where I am going with all this. My question is...are people going to look back, like in 100 years and be like "damn the 1970s is where it's at", but in all future-y language. Like I'm pretty sure we are well aware of what 70s style is like despite that it was more than 30 years ago. But most people probably wouldn't be able to differentiate 1870 from 1850 and there probably was a huge difference. Do you think it's just because we have so much archived? I don't know...

whatever, it's time for a beer

1 comment:

  1. There's also personal attachments to it considering most of our older relations actually experienced that era. but you're right, a lot of the archival-ness of it probs makes a difference. i mean, tv & other computery things were making it way easier to document things.. the 1900's were pivotal in how society changed.

    Look at me, pretending to know what i'm talking about...i just know my mom had an afro.

    ReplyDelete