Monday, September 12, 2011

willy wonka

No I didn't watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory recently, instead upon meeting someone over skype I simply quoted the great willy wonka from the 1971 classic.

I shake you warmly by the hand

Now I must say I kept this thought in my mind for the rest of the evening because I have always felt a dislike for the newer remake of the classic (book and film) because Johnny Depp's portrayal of Willy Wonka is not at all how I interpret this character. In the newer film his sarcasm and cynicism seems to be at the forefront of his character, whilst in the older film and book he truly is a candy genius. He is just much more withdrawn and less emotionally motivated. Of course at the end we discover this apparent heartlessness is only an act in order to discover the true character of the children.

I am in love with this Willy Wonka. I want to grow up to be this willy wonka. What I like about his character is that he really doesn't care about anybody else and he is very intrinsically motivated. It seems that he is not motivated by money because he shuts down his factory. He is truly and artist that seeks to make children of the world happy.

What I like about him the best is that he is respected for all of this despite is elusiveness. I want to be him.

There is one of those questions that asks would you rather be rich or famous. I'd just like to be willy wonka who clearly is rich, but his fame comes because of his wonderful candy, but he is able to keep his privacy and maintain the public knowing little about him.

1 comment: