Sunday, February 17, 2013

17-02

I realize that my trip to scottsdale was very important for me. Actually - my winter vacation I think made a nice impact on me. Not being at home so much as my travels to first amsterdam and then scottsdale.

In amsterdam I purchased the museum card, which I might add more than paid for itself I was at:
- amsterdam museum
- NEMO science center
- anne frank house
- reduced at museum of modern art (there is a dutch name for it but I don't feel like looking it up)
- rijksmuseum (a wonderful christmas wander)

Fantastic deal. Especially when I plan on going back and continuing to "museum it up"

I do love art - and I almost wished that I could study art history so that I could understand it even better. Especially modern art....I mean really - what is going on!

Jackson Pollock - one of my favorites
I am going to talk about the modern art museum because I think it had the most impact on me in terms of thinking about design. There was a whole area dedicated to the design of textile and furniture and interior decoration...etc.

For me, seeing these things was confusing, because there were many things that I saw, and I think to myself....how on earth is this art. These dish towels look like what I have in my house?!

I think a lot more people would be able to appreciate modern art if someone took their hand and told them why it was art. But that's not the point of art. For me I love paintings that are completely spastic and unpredictable and confusing, but allow each viewer to see something different and have different emotions arise.
Apparently these things are art?

Then in Scottsdale I was talking with my colleague working there who is a HUGE design enthusiast. There were points where I was on the verge of not being able to pay attention because he could just go on and on.


at Taliesin West

It was great though because I felt so inspired to learn more. Being in Scottsdale was also influential, and on the last day that I was there he look me to Taliesin West which was one of the homes of Frank Lloyd Wright - an american architectural legend. It was amazing because you could really feel the philosophy of the whole place. And going with someone who was so enthusiastic felt extremely contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment