Monday, February 4, 2013

How the Holiday Inn left me coatless in Germany

I was lucky enough to be sent to Scottsdale, AZ just under a month ago to do some training with our subsidiary there. While my time in Scottsdale was highly enjoyable - a situation arising from lack of customer service at the holiday inn has got me troubled. It began the morning of my departure. I had a shuttle scheduled to pick me up at around 4:25 am. I was ready a little earlier and was just doing some final packing when the phone rang. It was 4:15. I quickly threw the rest of my things into my bag and rushed out the door....

It was about halfway to the airport when I realized I didn't have my jacket with me. I was so upset. I had purposely left my old jacket back in amsterdam so that I could collect this jacket (my favourite - and an expensive one at that!) in Winnipeg. Why had I not taken this previously? Luggage restrictions are to restricting when moving intercontinentally. When I got to the airport I had to figure out how I was going to get this jacket back. I remembered then the power of twitter. By the time that I had arrived in Toronto I had received a response from @IHGcare after tweeting @HolidayInn. Fantastic. I was going to be able to get my jacket back! Some how the internet wasn't working that great on my iPhone so I waited until I got back to Germany and sent a message to the customer care representative. Jacket-less I may add.

I will highlight a bit of a timeline so that you can follow to proceeding events a little easier

Monday January 14th
I received an email saying that my concerns would be forwarded to the hotel I stayed at. I naturally thanked her and waited patiently. She also said they would contact me directly within 48 hours.

(January 16th - birthday....no jacket)

Friday January 18th
I still hadn't received word from scottsdale and emailed IHG care again. I received an answer saying my additional comments have been added and that she spoke with the manager who would be contacting me that day.

Then the response


I just spoke with our Corporate Guest Relations about your jacket.  I greatly apologize that we have not responded to your inquiry - it seems as though I did not see the notification come through from them. I will touch base with our executive Housekeeper immediately to ensure that we do have the jacket.  My sincerest apologies!

I hope you all note the word immediately.

Saturday February 2nd 
I was very lenient and gave quite some time. I sent an email wondering why I had received no response.

Then today Monday February 4th
I received this:

I thought I had emailed you back letting you know that we did not recover a jacket - apparently I neglected to do so.  Looking through our lost and found records there was no jacket left in room 101 around the time of your departure.  I apologize for the inconvenience but if there is anything else we can do to assist you please let us know.


She either is to stressed to realize what is going on...or just doesn't care. I understand that it is just a jacket - but the lack of empathy is damaging to my impression of this chain, and moreover what kind of work ethic is this manager demonstrating to her employees. How often does this happen that emails just don't get responded to? As a service provider your customers should not have to push you for a response.

I also feel like she is essentially calling me a liar. I know for a fact that I had that jacket with me. I saw it everyday for 6 days. I know that I didn't bring it with me. There's no where else it could have gone. The only explanation is that it was taken by whoever was cleaning, which also sucks. It's also illogical...it's not cold enough for that jacket in scottsdale. I also had a scarf that I purchased in budapest in there. I'm just really disappointed. I understand if the jacket isn't there. I also wonder if the jacket was there and she just doesn't want to spend the money to ship it to me. But jokes on them, because I would have gladly paid to have it shipped to them.

In General I feel like there are a lot of things that get left behind at hotels. I don't understand why hotels wouldn't try to contact the guests who have left things behind. Nearly everyone has email these days. You don't even have to pay for the shipping. Just let them know where something is. I personally take responsibility for leaving my stuff behind - but I'd feel a lot better knowing where I left it and have the option to get it back.

Well Holiday Inn/IHG care...you are welcome for providing this write up free of charge. I hope that something is done about this because I almost feel moderately offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment