Saturday, March 9, 2013

Do I have a home?

This blog entry is dedicated to my father, as he told me that instead of complaining I should just right about it in my blog. To get back at him I will post a picture of the holstein I am currently drinking. I realized since opening it that I actually have not had breakfast yet - oh well - three beers is a meal *as they say


As to the topic of discussion between my father and myself - it pertained to the recent paint job that occurred in the room that I formerly occupied. I'd say my room - but it is no longer my room. How tragic. I know that I have my room and my apartment here in Germany - but I would not say that I really have a home. I feel like I don't have these feelings because I know that I'm not going to be staying here for a long time. At least not as long as I expect my parents to stay in that house - the same house I lived in since I was 6. Obviously I am going to have a place to stay when I go there but there is always a difference between staying in a room and staying in a room that is yours. Even here I wouldn't say that my room is how I would envision "my room" to be. By this I mean that there is relatively little decoration and furniture. Again I think this hesitation stems from my inability to want to root down and settle. The wanderlust factor is to high still. 

It was also interesting because during our talk we were discussing my upcoming day trip planned to Heidelberg and visit to the castle. My father who has also been there was discussing how it was sad that so much of the interior is not at all what the original would have been. I noted it was interesting that he was making mention of this after renovating my room. In 100 years when they want to turn our house into a museum people are going to be pissed. 

I also don't have that strong of a foot to stand on considering I told my parents about my extreme lack of desire to go to winnipeg. For me to even visit at the moment is not the most exciting thing. There are way more other places on my travel list that I need to see first. Although I do have about a week of holidays that are still unplanned - maybe a pop on over to see the family would be in order. At least there will be a couch to sleep on.

1 comment:

  1. Come sleep in my spare room!! :) My "room" turned into a-good-place-to-hangdry-the-laundry. It actually made me feel encouraged to give myself a life cause I really was set a-fly! Like, shit got real. I HAD to make adventures for myself cause! (Although they always had a spare bed set up...).

    I've been craving a beer lately. Although you're a way bigger connoisseur than I am. I like my light beers...*embarrassed face...*

    ReplyDelete