Wednesday, October 6, 2010

networking breakfast

I completely forgot to write about the networking breakfast I attended yesterday...it was pretty much one of those events that people go to in attempts to make some sort of connection to the real world and hope that someone spots something magical in them and offers them a job on the spot. I feel that is an extremely irregular event. So anyways... I got there (wearing my all black suit of course) and the first thing we did was eat breakfast. I wasn't feeling that hungry and a piece of toast would have been satisfactory. Sadly that was not one the options on the menu. So I had to suffer through some horrible looking scrambled eggs, cold hash browns and out of season fruit salad. So I met up with a girl I know through friends and we made our way over to the only empty table that had the reps from grant thornton sitting at it. To be honest I had no idea who grant thornton actually is, so I just played it cool and relied solely on the small talk aspect for that. I didn't ask them any questions about the organization at all, but from what I deducted i was an accounting firm...totally what I am not into at all. So I went to my first table which was stryker, a company that does medical equipment. The representatives were very intense people and it seems like a very intense company to work for as far as sales and all that go. In fact sales positions are more midlevel because the demands are so high. Then I went to pepsi and she was pretty intense as well. She pretty much talked the entire time and I feel that she really did not give anyone an opportunity to talk. She also talked about how she had to sacrifice having kids and marriage for her job. I do not want that to ever be an issue. I understand that work is important but I don't want that to be the only thing in my life. The best company I went to see what definitely Canadian Tire Financial Services. They were the only people to actually ask us at all about ourselves. I felt everything was very one sided for all the recruiters. Becky was helping out at the event and she said that she thought that It seemed like a lot of the employers were talking a lot as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment