Thursday, October 14, 2010

who knows

It's continued to be a great week. I realized that my life on a chain of happiness goes from just mediocre to really great but it never really dips into the poor side. I'm really thankful for that, but it could also be the kind of personality that I have. I don't really get mad that easily.

There's lots that I could say about what I've been up to lately, but I'll focus on yesterday

Yesterday Galen Weston, the CEO of Loblaws was at our school receiving a distinguished leaders award. And yes it is the Galen weston from the superstore commercials (worth switching supermarkets for). It was really a neat event. Number one he is a great looking guy, number two he is quite tall, like exceptionally tall. I want to see a commercial now so that I can put his height into context. So the topic that he was talking about was the future of food. As the guy running the largest supermarket chain in canada he needs to be the kind of person that is leading change. The global food market is one that is really skewed in terms of people eating 'fairly' (Know that I think about it I wish he would have talked more about fair trade). He was talking about the changing trends in eating, and how growing countries like india and china are changing their dietary needs. He also talked about the depleting fish stocks. Different demands that we are going to have in the future are something that we do need to look at now. The problem for him is that he needs to find someway to remain profitable but change the canadian eating habits. He did give some good examples of how canadians have already been changing their minds by voting with their wallets. Canadians typically don't care where their food comes from. If they did, we would all be vegetarians. The way that meat is prepared is just awful. Lately I have been thinking about becoming a vegetarian, but the problem is that I just love meat to much. So I have decided to take out meats one at a time. So far I am taking out bacon, I feel that bacon makes the biggest gluttons and It's in no way beneficial to eat. I am also hoping to give up fast food hamburgers. Anyways...it really came clear to me that we need to make people change their minds.

My final reactions, I feel like he was like a walmart type organization trying to make a turnaround. I feel that there is a lot that is unsaid about the company and that a lot of their changes have been made as part of a campaign to get more people to shop their and not as family orientated as Galen would like to have us believe. If Galen really wants people to change, he would need to lose money. He would need to change packaging of his products, he needs to change the sourcing of the foods and he needs to prove why this is a better way, and make everything affordable. I think that I am willing to spend more to have better sourcing, it is definitely something worth investing in, and I think that if canadians realized this they would change as well. Sadly not all canadians can afford to think ahead like this because face it, prepackaged food is SOO much cheaper. I do my best to avoid pre-made food, but sometimes it is good. I do also hate how foreign foods get americanized so that it can be appreciated by our 'delicate pallets'.

1 comment:

  1. You really need to watch the movie "Food Inc". I found it very thought provoking especially when it comes to sourcing our food.
    la

    ReplyDelete