Friday, April 6, 2012

russian royalty



 When I was a young'n I remember there was a book in my elementary school library that was like a little diary from the princess Anastasia, who was the youngest daughter of the last royal russian family. The picture had many personal photos from the family and sort of told the story of the family. I don't know what has kept me so fascinated with this story. I have always been a pretty big history nerd so that kept me intrigued, and there was just something about the tragic story, and the connection through the photos that interested me. I had a book called my anastasia which was about a poor little girl who went to live with the family that I read countless times.

Then this wonderful movie came out in 1997 - and that was even greater. I think the whole story that she could have survived the shooting that killed the rest of her family was rad - but I kind of get the feeling that this was just a way to keep hope alive for the russian people.

I'm clearly not going to go into a whole diatribe, and analyze this whole story to death.

What I wanted to really come across is the fact that anastasias mother was a german princess that came from DARMSTADT!!

So on one of my adventures home one day I remember that I have already told you through the mathildenhöhe. In this area there is also a chapel and I thought that's cool. Of course as usual I had to look through wikipedia and it turns out that this russian chapel was dedicated by the tsar to the city in honour of his wife. It's super cool.

So last weekend, it was wonderful weather - so I went and rode my bike up the hill (lack of fitness didn't help) and sat on the fountain in front of the chapel and just read my book. It was beautiful. I took a picture - here it is

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY READ "MY ANASTASIA" TOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete