Sunday, October 28, 2012

dealing with disappointment

There is one thing that they never teach in business school - or at least in no classes that I've ever taken. I think something that really contributes to being a great employee is measuring what happens when things to wrong. I think in general I am a pretty responsible person, and I know when to accept that I have made a mistake. I am not happy about making the mistake, but I don't try to hide the fact that I made it...and again I don't share with the world the thing I've done.

I feel like the message I want to communicate with my boss is that I accept that I have made a mistake, but I want him to understand that I take it seriously. I also don't want to spend hours of time dwelling on this mistake I've made. Once the situation has happened it is often difficult to go back and completely undo the mistake you've made. It is now up to you to find some sort of solution. But it is also difficult to make any solution be as good as was supposed to be originally.

This situation has recently happened at work - where it was partially a miscommunication on my part could potentially lead to us losing the customer. I don't know what to do or how to tell my boss or how to actually make up for the situation.

I think this is something that should be offered as a course - or at least a standard part of intro to business. How to clean up your failure!

No comments:

Post a Comment