Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I'm frightened by those who don't see it

The world is weird, of course I don't need to be the one to tell you that. I was thinking about the phrase "I'm down" this morning. Or "I'm out", both of these being phrases that I frequently use. But Now consider the expresssion being down and out. In this situation down is not a positive term. When I use the phrase I'm down it's because I'm down with the situation, I am wanting it to happen. Maybe I just like negative sounding words.

On another topic, I often think about race. Like black, white, yellow, etc. I don't know why I think about it so often but it's just something very interesting. I totally believe that racism is out there, and it's most evident in situations that are not negative. What I mean by that is stereotyping is often done towards a racial group. I also think about how there are many groups working towards empowering members of a certain ethnicity. Like "black women against abortion". Why does it have to specify what kind of people are in a group. I feel like this re-inforces the sterotypes that people do work hard to break. Many people also talk about being proud of who you are and of your heritage, and by doing this you are again working against the same thing you are fighting for which I believe is equality. By labelling yourself I believe you are placing a certain value upon yourself. I don't think that there every will be a fairness between ethnicities. I think this is coming up because of a debate on cbc about a song about a down syndrome baby was nominated for an emmy this weekend, and there were people to (obviously) took some issue with this. What I like about family guy is that it's keeping racism out in the open. I think when we can laugh at our differences and have them become more familar it makes a bigger impact, and it's better when it's something that everyone is able to laugh about. At least they don't pick on one single group.

I don't really know how to conclude this kind of statement. I still believe that everyone should be treated fairly. I'm not going to give an different consideration who you are. If you are a jerk you are a jerk, not because of what colour your skin is.


And now for something completely different.

I always feel weird when someone is confirming something with you, or you're checking off a list. Like what is an acceptable word to say, I usually go with a "yup" or "mmhmm", I've heard "ok", "yes" and a variety of other things. I always end up mixing it up, and I think it is weird that I've mixed things up, like do people notice. I just hate saying the same word repeatedly. I wish I could just do a grunt and everyone did. And the word always sounds like there's a little lilt of a question mark at the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment