Saturday, December 4, 2010

so sad...

Watch the following commercial












So you may have seen this commercial on TV for the new windows 7. This commercial begins to epitomize how we are all screwed as people. How sad is it that we have to spend this much time on our phones. This shows that people are more interested in virtual lives than their actual lives. Is this not the sadest thing that you have ever seen. There is also one with a father at a soccer game and he indicates that it's a good thing he has this phone implying that without this phone he'd miss his kids soccer game. Are you serious...you are going to miss your kids soccer game in order to check your facebook/twitter, whatever lame crap you have going on in 'not-real-life'!. The phone at the end says designed to get you in and out and back to life. Why not just call. It's true however, I have spent hours on facebook just seeing what people are up to. However with my closer friends, I'm not going to creep them. I just realized that I never creep my closest friends profiles, unless they are winnipeggers and I haven't seen them for a while.

I was also thinking about texting in the shower...you know when you can have a really long text-versation with someone. Does this contribute towards building the relationship. I feel in terms of building blocks (these are all just models that I'm hoping convey my point), you can build more with actual face time than through a phone. Obviously geographic reasons do sometimes make that difficult, but you can still just phone. Texting means that you don't have to give that person the time of day. You can do whatever you want to do, but you just have a minor interruption every few minutes. Furthermore, phones allow you that chance to think about what you're going to say long before you have to type it, but also gives you that option of not even texting back. I don't know how I feel about text relationships. If I generally have something quick to say or if I'm bored I'll text people. But I do find it tedious to have a long drawn-out conversation. Eventually I get tired of waiting for my phone to go off. Then I feel like I'm wasting time waiting for it to go, when I could be doing something.

Another thing that bothers me is, if I'm going to take time out of my day to hang out with someone, you better not be on your damn phone texting other people. I remember in high school actually being out for lunch with people and telling them to put their phones away. i find that so offensive. It clearly states to me that someone cannot even dedicate a complete hour of their time.

I think that technology has started to drive us away from being able to build proper relationships. People these days also generally have shorter attention spans and I wonder if this is changing the way that people relate to each other as well.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment