Tuesday, April 5, 2011

related to today's awesome thing

So one of the blogs I subscribe to is 1000 awesome things. Today's awesome thing was breaking into your own house and I was reminded of a memory of doing this myself just last year.

So it was an amazingly sunny day...(by the way I may have blogged about this right after it happened, but that was the old blog)
....and I decided to sit outside and read my magazine because I just wanted to enjoy the weather. At our old house the door worked in such a way that you can lock the door by turning the little thing on the knob and then just shutting the door. I am a superbad creature of habit, and so on this day I, like I usually do, shut the door and went to sit outside. After reading my magazine for about 10 minutes I realized what I had done. I thought about it for a few minutes and did a holy crap I'm pretty sure I locked the door panic moment. I had that last glimmer of hope, but unfortunately the damage had already been done. I was locked outside. I also remember for some reason I was home along that weekend, or at least I was going to be home alone for the next few hours. I also wasn't dressed for a cold spring night. I knew that my top priority at the moment was breaking into my house. Luckily our house wasn't over safe and I remembered that the small little back window was not locked as we often opened it during cooking. As I was walking to the back I was praying that nobody had failed to lock it. I also wasn't wearing shoes either, and it's way harder to deal with stuff barefooted.

So I get back there and thank heavens it is open. It is an awkward window height though and the bottom is about mid-torso height. Had a chair been outside it would have been much easier. Sadly this was not the case, and I knew that my weight would be too much to stand on an overturned recycling bin. So I tore off the screen and opened the window. Cohen, the cat, was also interested to see what was happening. He would not make a great guard cat unless it meant face bumping to death. This cat had become accustomed to sitting on this window ledge because of it's comfort and view of many birds and of course as I have this window open he's trying to get out at the same time. Not only am I struggling to lift my body high enough to get into the window I'm also shoving the cat out of the way. If anyone had seen this from the back side they would have got a great shot of my ass with legs flailing away. Similar to lindsay lohan's character falling in the garbage can in the cinematic masterpiece mean girls!

Needless to say, I made it in safe and sound and then laughed at myself for the next hour. Then went back outside to keep reading...this time not locking the front door. Actually I kept my key around my neck to avoid such foolishness a second time.


No comments:

Post a Comment