Friday, October 28, 2011

Munich: Dachau - Part A - introduction

So I actually made a draft for this. Actually I made a pretty long draft on the train ride home - and I'm in the library at school working and left that draft at home.

Anyways, it is very difficult to talk about the prison camp using an positive associations. Leading up to the tour that I went on with Becky we were talking about how we were feeling about this upcoming trip. But it was so hard to find the proper words that we wanted to use because no I'm not excited about going to a prison camp, I'm not looking forward to it. Like it's just not a place that anyone would want to go.

I think that going there however is very important and necessary for people to visit to really grasp. But even after my visit I find myself searching for more understanding. But truly one can never understand the magnitude and the damage of the camps. I have myself already been to the holocaust museum in Washington DC but the more I learned about this whole situation the more I want to understand.

One thing I never realized was how many work, or labour and concentration camps there were. Many were however just smaller outlets served to help serve the larger camps.

So over the next few days I'll share my adventures and some of the different things I noticed. I think this is something that I could realistically type at length about so I'll break it up over the next couple of days so you don't get bored all at once.

I just want to note that it is really hard to talk about this kind of a subject without sounding to cavalier. I want to stress the importance of this kind of place so that we can kind find some way to honour all those unnamed victims.

No comments:

Post a Comment