Monday, October 17, 2011

Random Day Trip: Kaiserslautern

So bright and early on saturday morning - about 9:17 I woke up and decided to go to the farmers market. It was so cute and there were so many old people. It smelled wonderful, but was actually more expensive than I was thinking. I love the eggs that I got from there too. And the strawberries were fantastic! Still tasted relatively fresh - not quite as good as fresh picked but way better than store purchased.

Then later in the afternoon we were planning to go to Heidelberg, just to do something with our day and not just bum around. So we headed down to the "hauptbahhof" (central railway station) and got on the S1 which we realized after getting on was not going in the direction of heidelberg - we had to option of getting off, but of course my favourite thing to do is go on adventures into where ever. In fact I have plans of one day going to the train station and just getting on the first regional train that arrives. Why not?

So we decided that we could have an adventure. We were just going to get off whenever a city looked interesting. The first interesting looking city was neustadt - but we didn't get off there. We waited another half hour to get to Kaiserslautern. Obviously none of us had been there before, but we just decided to go for a wander and see what was up. The train station had a really odd location in the city - being that there was nothing around it. I'm pretty sure there black community had set up shop in the train station vicinity. Generally I expect to find some sort of activity around the train station but there was none. So we continued upon our walk until we found a pedestrian mall and it seemed that so many of the stores were closed. But the farther we walked the more people there seemed to be (and more stores were open, not that we even went in). So eventually we made it to a cafe where they were showing soccer so we decided to have a beer and then the girls ordered pizza.

I was just excited because I got to try a new beer. It was decent, but pretty generic tasting. I like the generic beer we have here in Mannheim better. But it was fun to just sit and drink - except I was dying of heat sitting beside the window.

We then used the power of technology to figure out what the heck we were going to do the rest of the day and found there was this dino-park where there were dinosaur sculptures everywhere. So again using the power of technology of the blackberry (at least they are doing something for me) I was able to find our way to this park. Once we got there - which was around 5 we realized it was 5 euros to get in. By this point certain members of the group who don't walk that often seemed to be a little tired from the day and all the walking we've already done so we decided to forgo the experience and just take pictures with the sculptures outside. If I had the camera I'd put some pics up here - you'll likely just have to creep my facebook.

So after that I became the master and I successfully guided us back to the train station using an alternate route - without a map!!!

Another favourite hobby! I just love testing myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment