Monday, July 2, 2012

Mainz Meetup

I met up with one of my old teachers from high school today. My German teacher for that matter. It was a wonderful day. It was also cool because I have never been to Mainz, and it is a pretty historically significant city...although it's so sad that I can't remember enough history right now. A very catholic city at any rate.

So we met up and then started wandering throughout the city. We then stopped and went through the Dom (cathedral) there, which was absolutely amazing. We were then going to go to the Gutenberg museum, hoping that I could see the Gutenberg bible which we did not because the museum was closed on mondays. That was a bit of a bummer. But we then went for cake which was a decent compromise. I finally had my first piece of Schwartzwalder Kirsch (Blackforest) which I could say competes for the title of my favourite cake.

I think the greatest part of my day was being able to connect with her as an adult. I mean she first got to know me as a wonderful little 12 year old and has known me for more than 10 years. Not well obviously because what she may see is slightly different than how I actually am. But it was great that we were able to share more experiences from our personal lives and actually bond somewhat an appreciate the circumstances that affect us in a more 'formal' setting.

I felt very inspired by her as well, and I feel a little bit more motivated into doing more things that will better myself. And figuring out how I'm going to be able to continue to do things I love, but being able to support myself as well. I also was encouraged to look a little bit further into my future and start thinking about that. I think that may be a larger theme of staying here in Germany. I think I need to figure out how to bring all the great parts of my life here into moving back to North America. It was cool how she talked about when she was a kid and she pretended she was going to know how to fly, and she ended up being a flight attendant, and then became a teacher partially for the time to travel in the summer. Just awesome...

Now that I think about it, we didn't actually see vast amounts of stuff while we were there, we just wandered down the rhine river and talked.

Then for lunch we had some tapas, and I even drank a beer in front of her which was neat...and not very MBCI. ha ha don't care!

But I must tell you...this food was amazing, and I would go back to Mainz, just for Tapas. We had these chicken croquets, and some bread, but the most amazing thing was dates wrapped in bacon. I literally in my life have never eaten bacon that tasted that good. Like I need to have it again or I will die. I'm getting hungry just talking about it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment