Monday, July 23, 2012

The John Cage afternoon break




I have had the wonderful situation of having a refrigerator break last thursday. My roommate was cleaning it...and then, it didn't work. So I don't quite know what we are going to do about it, but in the mean time I can't keep cold products. This means that I have to go food shopping everyday. Due to the fact that I didn't really feel like getting out of bed after a really late night/morning on friday/saturday, it meant that I didn't go shopping and didn't really have food. The worst thing is no cheese. One thing that I'm sure many of you canadians don't realize is the fact that grocery stores are not open on sundays...only in the main train station can you go grocery shopping because it is seem as a necessity.

So at the train station they have a whole bunch of art being inspired by the works of John Cage. To give you a a taste of who John Cage is please watch this video




Weird right?!

Outside they had what they called the stage cage, which is a semi permanent wooden structure. Outside the building they had some beach chairs so you could enjoy the sunshine. The doors of the building were wide open and in the middle of the room there was a grand piano which was completely surrounded by oversized gym mats with these outdoor pillow things. They were so so comfortable....and I literally just sat there for an hour. The music that the guy was playing though was themed...'as slow as possible'. It was pretty much someone playing one or two notes or chords at a time and then waiting 20ish seconds between the notes.

The coolest thing was the intensity of the pianist and how deliberate he was between the notes. It was so enjoyable and made me want to think of my own installation art. I was also upset because I didn't have my notebook with me. I do feel a lot more inclined to write and keep my thoughts down, not just necessarily in blog format. But just to do something a little bit more creative...and every time I feel these great thoughts that I want to remember I never have anywhere to write them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment