Monday, November 7, 2011

Accents

I'll start off by saying - accents are so weird. Like me and the people from england all speak english. But the way that we say words is completely different. It's weird to think how accents change all over the place. Even within the US it's clear there is a difference between people from Seattle to South Dakota to South Carolina all say their words different.

Now I must say that not all people from a region have that same accent.

Even hear in Germany the way that people speak compared across different areas is different. Especially in the area where I'm living it is often noticeable that people pronounce words differently than how I've learned to say them.

I was thinking about this when watching some old-timey movies and they are americans but they don't talk like americans do today. And then I got to thinking about how America was settled by the British - so obviously the first settlers had those accents. But why don't they speak British english there now? And I guess that it slowly left the tongue of people, but I wonder why that is.


As weird as accents are - don't even get my started on regional slang.

1 comment: