Saturday, November 5, 2011

Munich: Neuschwanstein


So I did actually get to do something a little less depressing. It was pleasing spectacle to visit was the castle of the (Mad) King, Ludwig II - Neuschwanstein.

I was not sure what to expect because I felt like it was going to be a bit of a touristy place - that's what people had told me prior to going.

So we got up at about 8:10 because we had to be at the train station to meet at 9:15. Luckily I went to bed no later than 1 the previous morning....

So anyways - it was a two hour train ride there. The first hour sucked. The second hour wasn't to bad because we got to see some hills - but the best was when the Alps started peeking up.

One thing I'll admit - I'll never get tired of seeing mountains. They are just so wonderful.

So eventually we got to the town of Füssen, which is a cute little alpine town for tourists in the area. It's weird seeing Alpine houses that are actually legit because whenever I see an actual alpine style house in canada I just find it so kitschy, and I almost thought it there but then I realized that it was pretty legit.

One thing you may not realize prior to going (I didn't) is that to get from the town to the actual castle is at least a twenty minute walk at about a 50 degree incline. My legs were already tired from walking the day before - but I guess that counts as exercise so I'm fine with that. To be honest I really do enjoy hiking a lot more than when my parents forced me to go as a young child.

Eventually we arrived at the peak where the castle was. Really - it's not that big. My favourite thing about it though was that the king who built it, had it built above the castle he grew up in. I think so that we could look down and rub it in their faces.

Something else I think that people fail to forget is that the castle was built in the mid-late 1800s (I forget the dates and I'm to lazy to look it up: I'll also apologize for not adding more historical fun facts in this - I'm lazy). There were fairly modern amenities such as plumbing - and a telephone! The toilet was quite funny because it was an actual throne. I don't think I'd be super jazzed about sitting on leather though to release my bowels. (too graphic?)

So basically we got up to the top of the hill and our tour guide told us a few facts - whatever...nothing I didn't know after listening to my favourite podcast. Then we had some time to do whatever and eventually we walked up even further to the marienbruke where I took this picture


So so pretty!

But it really isn't as big as you expect. Another thing you don't expect is the fact that it wasn't finished. King Ludwig II died prior to it's completion and one of his requests was that if he ever died - the structure should be torn down.

Apparently this structure was inspired by versailles which I don't understand. This is a medieval style castle - versailles I don't think was even that medieval (correct me if I'm wrong). This castle was also then the inspiration for the cinderella castle at disney world. I don't really get that either. The only resemblance I see is that it's white and has a turret. Even the completed structure doesn't resemble the disney castle.

We did get a chance to go on a tour inside but it was less than inspired. It was so cool to see all the inside stuff though because there are few pictures to be found due to the fact that photography isn't aloud inside. It was neat to see how the king took so much inspiration from very heroic/epic events. Many of the chandeliers were inspired by byzantium and all the illustrations on the walls were from operas or heroic myths - with the story of Tristan and Isolde being portrayed on the walls within his bedroom. The ornate carving above the bed was one of the highlights of the tour and I wish I could share that with you. I found it interesting how paintings were actually done right on the walls- whereas today you hang a painting upon the wall. I guess that gives reasons for the permanence within the castle.

The very best part of the tour was the walk at the end. We were blessed with such a good tour group that was all able to walk down the scenic route. It was along a stream that had many different waterfalls. Had it been summer and I had my bathing suit I would not have hesitated in diving in.

I drank from that stream. It was just so awesome and pretty!

I have a new goal - find a farmers son so that I can travel to the country during christmas and holidays. I think living there permanently would make me crazy because I would feel to isolated.

No comments:

Post a Comment