Tuesday, November 29, 2011

my former glory (not so glorious)

So I found this little gem today


I was searching for any news I could find on what had happened in the high school provincial games in Manitoba this week (volleyball) and so I googled mbci volleyball. I came across this little feature uploaded five years ago that I never knew existed.

Yup, you may have guessed it. That's me in grade 12. I have not changed. I look exactly the same. I know the numbers are hard to see but if you look at the knee brace that's me.

It's so weird watching myself. I am totally critiquing everything too. Like 'terrible pass' or 'nice hit' - if you go to around 11:29 you see me completely give up and kick the ball. Not sure what happened there.

This does fill me with a little bit of high school regret because watching myself - I really was not as good as I thought. I could serve like a pro, but I was so slow. Although I think in this game I have a pretty decent kill percentage. I just remember that being an extra tough year for volleyball as far as my team went. There was a serious division on the team and of course being team captain and trying to be a good person and be the peacemaker like I always do I felt that I was constantly in the middle - although I probably put myself in there.

I hope that I have the excuse that this was early in the season and I was still recovering from knee issues. I do feel that despite my hours clocked on the bench during club I was a lot better. Perhaps because I was getting pushed more by the team around me.

One thing I hated about this year was the fact that I was team captain and received no awards or recognition. I'll never forget that, because despite the fact that I was fairly average and played many sports I was a good leader and I think that you can see this from the film.

I just hated getting benched with this team. I also did not get set very often.

It's also cool that there are girls that I played club with on the other side of the net.

This also makes me wonder what other gems are going to be out there for my children to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment