Saturday, November 12, 2011

Are Tv shows getting less funny

I remember when I was a little kid and all I wanted to do was watch the simpsons, but no - mother and father wouldn't let me because I wasn't mature enough. I think this lasted until I was 15 and looking back now it's weird to see my parents not letting me watch that.

Anyways, I used to think it was such a funny show. Then I was allowed to watch family guy and I loved that show even more than the simpsons. Through the first two years of university I would generally watch both of these on TV, if I missed the simpsons I didn't care, but family guy was always a must. Eventually I just stopped caring for the simpsons altogether because I don't think that it's funny anymore. Family guy just pushed the boundaries so much more, and appealed to me so much more and I just couldn't deal with the simpsons anymore. It seemed so juvenile.

Another show I used to watch consistently was the office, my mom and I would watch it together if we could, but if not together I would call her to discuss the episode. One time she even hung up on me because I forgot it was on that night (at this point I worked thursdays so I watched them all online the next day). But now, I have no desire to watch it.

The point of these being - have these shows just not been funny, or have I just watched them to long that I got bored with them. I'm soo upset this year because my favourite show of all time it's always sunny in philidelphia BLOWS this season. I have forced myself to laugh in nearly all the episodes, except two that were actually funny. Maybe it's because these shows become popular and when they do they can hire more writers, and perhaps this dilutes some of the core aspects that initially made the show funny. Another favourite show of mine is 30 rock, and I have not found a change in humour levels because tina fey has been at the helm the entire time.

I don't know if anyone else has any opinions about these TV shows, or has felt the same way - but is all TV just going through a slump right now? Last summer sucked for television and I never watched anything but big brother (although summer usually sucks), but was it worse this year? Or maybe my expectations are to high?

No comments:

Post a Comment