Friday, November 11, 2011

motivation

About 7 minutes prior to writing this post I was sweeping up my room and it gave my the inspiration to blog. I'll give you some context why.

It is currently 12:48 pm on friday november 11 and I have just returned from the school library where I was doing homework from 10-12. I was up at 8:30 this morning after falling asleep around 1-1:30 last night. Needless to say I'm a little bit tired.

This seems to be a minor reflection of the mood I've been trying to put myself in - a mood in which I am not so damn lazy and actually do things. I've already been in Germany for 2 months and I feel like I don't have that much time left in this area, and when thinking about spending time here in my flat on stumbleupon (best/worst website ever) or going out and seeing something new I'm gonna take the second option.

Even keeping my room clean is something that has been done with as much effort as I have done this year. In fact, I have even hand washed the floors at least once and certainly plan on doing it again, possibly even today. At the beginning I was even more diligent and keeping my room clean and making my bed everyday - but that has fallen through a little. I do want to make a better effort - actually I'll take a little blog break to do this.

Done.

It's going to be important for me to keep this level of motivation up because I'm super broke and cannot afford to travel with my friends (pity post) but I'm ok because I still will be making new memories for myself and that's for me the point of travelling, to see things that you've never seen before. Personally tourist kind of places are not super exceptional to visit, or don't really have a huge draw because I feel like I already know them because I've already been super exposed through tv, movies and other media outlets. How many times have you heard of this really neat hiking trail that gives great views of the Rhein-Neckar Valley...likely never and I like to be able to discover these things. The only problem is that it sucks to have no one to share these memories with.

Last night I got to create another memory because the Heidelberg-Mannheim film festival is currently running and last night was the opening night. They also had films for a dollar. Clearly I'm in germany and my german may not be up to par to watch an entire movie so when looking through the program I looked for films that could possibly be from other countries and so I found one with an american director. All was kind of cool and the director introduced the film in english so I thought this could be my lucky day. It was in russian! But it had both english subtitles on screen and german titles on a separate screen below the big screen. I am glad I went - certainly worth the price of admission, but it was a strange movie.

I guess I'll just be playing some more "get on the first train anywhere"
I'm excited

No comments:

Post a Comment