Tuesday, November 22, 2011

your twenties

They always say that your teens are the toughest years of your life.

That was not the case for me. I was quite happy with who I was and myself during junior high and high school. I think the naivety really helped me through that a lot. Looking back I'm sure that I thought a lot higher of myself than some of my peers did. Whether that was being passed over for awards or different sports things. Going back I wouldn't change anything because I was happy at that time and isn't that what it's all about. It kind of sucks looking that you were disillusioned from reality but that's part of life isn't it?

Maybe the reason that my twenties seem a little tougher is because my teens went so smoothly. Obviously there were some points where friends would be friends one day and not the next but I was pretty immune to that and just didn't really care. But now without that structure of high school it's strange for me that I get to make decisions on my own. It may be the fact that I still live my parents in the summers or that I am financially dependent on them that keeps me from acting like someone in their twenties. Last summer I got back to the house later than anticipated and my parents were disappointed because I didn't let them know I was going to be late. I can totally understand their point, but at this point in my life it's weird that I should have to be accountable to people with my comings and goings. I'm sure they feel the same way, but hey, they're parents - the care.

Sometimes I think people in their twenties have such a difficult time because the fact that they never really learned how to be motivated is catching up with them. This is the perfect opportunity to start projects, get involved and all that jazz. It's so much easier to stay at home and sleep the whole day because finally you are allowed to sleep in with no repercussions. But your twenties are tough because they really build your foundation for what you are going to do within the world.

Your teens are there for you to shape a your personality and find out what is important to you. This is often done through experimentation and going through different phases - and mixed along with hormones is extra fun for your parents. Then this is solidified during the late teens, for most this is in university or when you move out. Then early twenties you are finally free from most of the institutional aspect of your life, unless you are a little bit late, or really smart getting a professional degree. But now you are faced with figuring out what on earth you are going to do with your life. Literally you can do whatever you want. There may be some red tape in actually doing whatever you want - but the biggest thing holding you back is yourself. That's the toughest part is narrowing down all the crap and ideas you have in your head and actually pursue something. This usually means giving up something be it money, or connection to family or otherwise and that's what makes it the most scary. Gosh - is this the first part of starting to give stuff up. Maybe as you grow older the big theme is starting to give things up.....

You that are older are probably just laughing at me thinking that I know nothing - and when I read this in three years i will probably think the same.

I guess I'm talking more about what I've observed from peers that are going through university and really making my own assessments. I'm not an expert - clearly.

1 comment:

  1. Well put. I agree and feel the same way to an extent. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete