Tuesday, November 8, 2011

#occupymannheim

Yesterday in my sales and customer relationship management class we had a guest speaker from an organization called UBS.

I payed (or would I use paid) attention for the first hour I'd say, at least that's when I first looked at my phone. It was a decent presentation for the first bit. But really just got boring after a while. I think it may have been my complete un-interest in wealth management. It was a very interesting presentation because he was basically trying to explain how they need to attract customers - and how they have to make sure that their clients are 'wealthy' enough. In my head this even means the upper middle class are not welcome in this group. If you are not a millionaire this organization does not care about your wealth. That's fine. I understand that some businesses focus on this - and others focus on the normal everyday person. That's fine. It was just interesting because of all this #occupywallstreet stuff that's going on right now - which as much as I've read about it I'm still not sure I completely understand everything.

I do understand that people aren't happy with banks and the disparity created between the classes that is growing.

Just a sidebar to this - maybe their riches are growing in some part because there are these firms that are working to grow their money properly and grow investments. I mean - how are people like me going to expect to make the same kind of returns as someone with a lot more money. It's just not possible. I guess this could be one of the problems?

But anyways - this whole lecture makes me again think about being in business school and it's a fact; people go into business to make money. That's why businesses exist. That's why people buy shares - it's a driver of capitalism and that is the kind of society we live in. We can't deny that fact. Don't get me wrong, I do want to make money one day. But I don't think I want it as bad as a lot of my colleagues. It is a little strange that I'm going to get a business degree because I don't know if I agree with a lot of businesses.

I was riding on the tram the other day and the way we went drove past a lot of enormous factories. I realized that factories kind of scare me, like all I think about is pollution and depressed people. Like I know a few people that work in factories and no one is every happy about their job. It just gives me a weird uneasy feeling in my stomach and I can't quite figure out what it is about large organizations that do that. I think it makes me feel like I'm inadequate. If I was working in one of these large organizations in an upper management type position and did matter so to speak, I still don't think I'd be comfortable. It also could be that I just really need to work somewhere that I truly believe that what they are offering is of value to people and not just churning shit out to make a buck.

1 comment:

  1. It may also be true that because you are in the position you are in now, your attitude is determining your behaviour. But if you were in an upper management position, your behaviour will be different and so might your attitude... Think about it.

    ReplyDelete