Monday, November 21, 2011

tidbits #283

I realized that I talk about movies a lot - this post will be no exception

I was watching sleeping beauty and it is such a horrible message. When the little princess is born the first two give her the gifts of beauty and a beautiful voice. Judging by the archaic-ness of the first gift I'm surprised that the fairies would allow her to have a beautiful voice. I figured women wouldn't actually be allowed to talk. Or it could just be the pet that is allowed to come out of the kitchen only the entertain the guests by singing, but she's not allowed to talk other than that. Obviously I shouldn't be surprised, judging by the time that this film was made which was 1959 (coincidently the same year my father was born, age spoiler!) If you've watched any of the show Mad Men all these values shouldn't surprise you at all.

I was also watching the Sarah Jessica Parker 'masterpiece' I don't know how she does it. The story talks about how she has to try to balance her high powered career, with her family. In the film her character seemed to constantly put her family in the back seat because she was working on this project she had a lot of passion for. The movie basically told me that you can't have it all, and if you want to you should feel guilty about it. There was also another foil that was super-focused on her career and accidentally got pregnant and decided not to terminate the pregnancy. Is this some male based strategy telling women that it's ok to get pregnant so that they can make sure that men stay in charge.

Am I reading way to far into this?

I didn't enjoy the movie anyways.

I do realize that I sound like a ranting feminist here - which I am not. I just am a realist and like to think that I am aware of inequalities and honestly I really only care the most about them when they are happening to me personally. I am to self-centered to protest anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment