Thursday, November 25, 2010

coaches

So I'm watching the provincial (volleyball) finals right now and I was listening to the commentators talk, and so MBCI was down 18-11 and they were talking about how some times you do a wash drill or whatever and practice certain score situation like first to five, or some kind of combination. And this kind of drill that mr. plett could have reminded the players of.

I was thinking then about practice. It's weird about how you practice to get better but you don't really feel like you get better. It's so strange how the more you do something the better you get, and it's fascinating that we as humans are able to learn like this. In one of malcolm gladwells books he talks about how it takes about 10 000 hours to be good at something. For example before the beatles invaded the US, they spent a lot of time playing in Germany and that allowed them to get better. Likewise, Bill Gates spent 10 000 (both estimates) hours doing programming of computers.

I was also thinking, is this subconscious learning, or are we just memorizing habits. I think about this then when I'm preparing to study for finance. I feel the last exam I did spend of lot of time reviewing questions and just practicing doing them. A lot of times (for a lot of exams actually) I spend so much time reading I stop engraving it. How then does this work for sports. A lot of times people do so much better when they put things out of their head. Things like dancing, (modelling - yes I watch ANTM), and volleyball - basically physical activities.

I wonder why it seems to be a different cognitive process for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment