Wednesday, September 8, 2010

the handshake

So life's good, just living the dream. The first problem I have encountered with living with boys has made it's self evident.

The setup
There are many boys that come to our house. I have met some new people within the last four/five days. Obviously these boys are someone that knows people in the house. We also have neighbors/friends returning back to school and so once they come over they need to greet everyone as well.

The problem
As each person comes in a simple howdy is not appropriate. The guys have the 'man-shake' that they are able to perform in perfect harmony and they just know what to do. The 'man-shake' is not an appropriate greeting between males and females. My problem is that I do not know how I am supposed to greet all these people. This issue is also encountered as people leave.

Temporary Solutions
I have basically played it by ear with different people. Some newbs will only get a distant hello, especially if I am tucked away on the back couch. I have also been able to perform the fist bump which has been ok. It becomes an issue when the other person 'explodes' at the end of the bump, which I can perform but I am not able to always predict when such 'explosions' should occur. I have also given out some hugs, but it's always a question as to how long to hold them.


So I need some help on dealing with this issues...suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. hold a hug for 10 seconds... finish with a big sniff of the neck... total ice breaker. Andy Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use the old standby... HIGH FIVE, works every time.

    ReplyDelete