Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm a boxer, who just returned from London

So do you remember a few days back I blogged about how much I love C.R. Avery... I will elaborate on why I love him.

The first time I saw him was at the winnipeg folk festival about a years ago, 2009. It was a rainy rainy day and I believe he was a tweener right before burning spear(?) but I'm possibly making that up. I remember he got the whole crowd amped up on such a rainy day, and we was climbing on the scaffolding holding up the stage. He also didn't have a lot of time and only got to do two songs. I also remember my dad saying that's all he's got, just that one gimmick song to win the crowd over. Well if that's true, it worked!!! After the festival I kind of kept him on the back burner.

I also have really started to push musical boundaries and in a way while back post I mentioned how hard this is, but I decided to try to re-discover C.R. The inspiration struck again when I saw his concert-on-demand on CBC radio website. I also wanted to try and experience more live music this summer and so I have a few bands that I try to watch out whenever they are coming to winnipeg. (Avett Brothers at folk festival made my life!!!, shame I'm missing mumford & sons in TO).

So back to the story...This summer I had one day where I just was not having a great day. I had some un-needed, undeserved, and unwanted un-friendlynes (some great literary device usage there). I was really cheesed to say the least. This summer I was also determined not to let things get me down, and be happy just being myself. So after this night it was about 12 and I was listening to CBC and there was his on-demand concert. I just had a huge rockout session in my band and I was changed by his music. The rain was pouring out my frustration for me, and he was saying what needed to be spoken, but he did this much more poetic than I could ever do. I'll never forget that moment and I don't know why.

Recently, like last week I decided to see what old C.R. was up to and I couldn't believe my luck, he was going to be here in St. Catharines. So yesterday was the day. I wasn't even sure whether or not I would have anyone to go with. I decided to muster up my courage and ask becky to come with me...I figured she'd probably think I was a total weirdo, but I'd probably look pretty strange being alone. So she agreed to come, and I also made a point of not second guessing her decision or questioning and just letting her think that it would be great. It wasn't until later I gave her a few more details. The plan was to go to night class and then have her pick me up. On my bus ride to school I was visiting with Scoot and telling him that tonight I was either going gain a million cool points or lose everything I have ever earned. He decided, screw it I'm coming too!! So that was two people that could have lost respect for me for being different...(over dramatic much?) I was panicking a little because I thought we were going to be late but we arrived just in time.

He was incredible. One of the better live shows I have been to. Shit...it was so good. Apparently he will be playing in hamilton coming up and becky and scoot are sold on seeing him again. It was also pretty funny because he kept wanting to go outside for a smoke, but we kept encoring him up on stage. It was all pretty casual there. He was also nothing bad to look at. So basically a great night was had.



I just love music, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment