Thursday, January 5, 2012

another post from a starbucks

So I have been in Germany quite sometime and I'm sure that there is not that I could write about (what a stupid intro) but there is something that I have noticed and it never really occurred to me until new years.

I love how Germans seem to 'come together' for big events. It's cool to live in a city that is able to broadcast a football (and I'm going to use this instead of soccer from now on because I want to be cool) and then have all these fans celebrating and cheering together. I know that in North America we have our fan clubs but it seems like the fan clubs here are a lot more like some sort of brotherhood that people really belong to. It's more than dressing up and especially more than getting drunk which for me seems to be the north american response - I will admit that becoming intoxicated is often a result of brotherhood but it seems like it's more collateral damage than the aim of the exercise.

I think that when germans take off their 'seriousness masks' they are the nicest people in the world and are a lot more welcoming. I was talking with someone today about the notion that germans seem to want to make more lifelong friends and once they open up are very willing to be friendly.

I also wonder if these sports teems have been some sort of platform for these friendships and brotherhoods to build outside of ones own family unit. It's just such a nice thought and another way for one to 'belong' to something

So here's a new goal and it's going to require my change of ideas in german football - I'm just going to have to learn to love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment