Thursday, January 19, 2012

such a day



It took me a while to type that - I am getting used to PCS - also, when I type I feel weird for speaking in english - or thinking in english. The entire day I constantly am practicing german phrases or trying to phrase together what I think are proper words in German. Wow - what is english? yikes

You know that person at work that you find there is some sense of conflict with an immigrant because they really don't speak the language that well and when you try to explain something important they just look at you with a blank stare? I'm that person. I try really hard and I know that my pronunciation is just off, because I feel like I'm going to split all over people. My mouth is just used to moving in those patterns naturally. I just hope I can turn it into something sexy like Sofia Veragara.


So today started out with me walking outside only to realize it was raining out. Whatever - I don't mind the rain that much and I really find umbrellas useless when you have a hood. Like you are going to get wet no matter what. So whatever... 

I had to first go the the Finanzamt so that I could register as a taxable German (because that's really what I want - to pay taxes), but I can't legally work without this number. So again I had to be late for work. I had to be late yesterday as well because I had to go register with the city. These people looooovvvee paperwork! But anyways - the office opened at 8 and I was the first one there. Now I'm going to have a little fun with Math today but I'll involve it in my story. It took me about 30 minutes to walk there. Then I of course had to get to work, and I wanted to see about getting a ticket or multiple tickets or some sort of deal so I walked to the hauptbahnhof and no I didn't find out anymore information. But walking there was another 25 minutes. Then I needed to leave and the town where I have my internship because it is in a small little town. So it takes about 40-ish minutes to get to work. 

So I'm on the bus and I know that my stop is coming up next so the moment that we pass the stop (haltestelle) before mine I hit the button. We turn onto the highway and the bus starts going....and going...and going...completely past my stop. I rush up to the front and say sir, why didn't you stop. He said I didn't push the button. Sir, I'm not retarded I know I pushed the button. Then he says that I should have pressed it early. I wished I was a better german bitch because I really wanted to express my feelings towards him. The worst was that we couldn't even stop because we were on a highway. So we travelled about another 5 minutes down the highway at a rate of 70. Now this means I have to walk the entire way back. I got off just steaming mad and went across the street to see when the next bus came - 50 minutes. The rain had started to pour harder at this point and I realized that it would probably just be better to walk instead of standing around waiting. This was such a miserable walk because I was so angry and it was uphill and I was getting splashed even more by the traffic. 

I eventually made it to work - completely wet. I the water had managed to penetrate my hood and my bangs were disgustingly wet. I didn't look great but I was alive. About 30 minutes after being there I was informed that it was the big boss/owners birthday was today...and he wanted to see me. My immediate thought was panic. I've only been here three days what could I have done!!!

It was a wonderful meeting. He asked me all questions that I was able to reply to in German. He also asked what my plans were for after the internship - which makes me think and hope that there could be something potentially long term from this. I assume they would want something in north america - but that sucks because I want to live in europe! I'll wait until I get the job first.

Later on at work my skills were again requested to help translate a legal document. FML. I'm not that skilled at english. I am very bad at being short and concise as is demonstrated by this blog. I have much to 'flowery' entries. I think I succeeded though. 

Then home from work and I walk home from where my carpooling person drops me off which is about another 25 minutes.

Then this evening I went to go visit the apartment that I am going to move into. I am actually quite excited to move in there. The roommates seem more friendlier than the last place that I lived and look like they will actually leave their room to talk to me. Two of them already have my cell phone number!
To get there from where I am is 45 minutes. (there and back for those of you keeping score)

Needless to say my legs hurt. I am living back in my vacation where we walked that long everyday. But instead I am starting before 8 am. I'm living the life of a 65 year old! Early to bed early to rise.

If you made it this far in the blog I'd like to shake your hand and welcome you to the end. You did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment