Monday, January 16, 2012

Deutsches Geburtstag!!


I'm in germany and it's my birthday - the first time I've ever been outside the country on my birthday...the first time I've ever been alone on my birthday...

and I am having such a wonderful day.

Let me just first start off by saying that my couch surfing host is just wonderful...like insta-friend wonderful.

I was not expecting something anything as wonderful as what I was expecting. I was hesitant to tell her initially that it was my birthday because I don't expect people to fawn over me. I don't feel like I need to be the centre of attention all the time. I also didn't want her to feel like she owed me anything. Realistically at this point I've only known her for 48 hours. It's amazing.

So I have a lot I can say but I'm just going to focus on my birthday for the time being because I'm going to be self-centered for about 500-ish words.

I don't know if any of you realize this but it was my first day starting an internship today. Remember I'm in germany. Despite the fact that I'm working for a company that exports to north america everyone still speaks german. This means that I am in fact  being trained in German.

Turns out when put to the test I really don't understand as well as I thought I did. At first it really seems that it is going to be more me listening than talking - but that's ok. I also came to the realization that I'm going to have to push myself if I'm going to talk German at a higher level. I want to be good enough that I can pretend I'm german when I want to avoid people.

But anyways - last night my couch surf buddy had some friends come over and we all drank and played games and then I got a birthday cake delivered at midnight. It was wonderful. And in typical german style with the penny put into the top. For luck....

Then I brought that cake to work today and it was so funny because when people found out it was my birthday I got soo many handshakes. It's just strange to me to receive a birthday handshake. It's not better in north america where they give you an awkward wave and then destroy your cake without talking to you. It was just really funny.

Then when I got home from work I cracked open the prosecoo and checked my internet feeds and decided who can't be my friend anymore because they didn't wish me a happy birthday. (just kidding - I pretend to know who loves me and I'll figure that is a good enough judgement...* also I love the people who you don't expect that say happy birthday, and those in winnipeg have a large window in which I can expect your greetings)

But then one friend that was over last night came over and made me a typisch deutsches buttercream kuchen (as picture at the beginning). These people are wonderful. And she brought be a birthday box that sings and birthday pasta. Then my couch surfing buddy gave me a wonderful little journal and bookmark.

I love it.

I think that this is going to be a wonderful semester. How am I going to leave?! I'll probably end up really frustrated some days and not feel like this - so perhaps a glass or three of prosecco will get me back to feeling how I am now.

I hope that my apartment roommates are like this too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment