Saturday, January 21, 2012

Beer

I'm sure I've mentioned that germans love beer. I'm sure I've also mentioned that I also like beer. Living here is a very compatible situation because I get to drink a lot of good beers. I looked it up and there are about 1250 Breweries in Germany with over 7500 different beers. This means that I have a lot of work to do. Having the fortune of travelling with my parents afforded me the chance to try many new beers...and I wouldn't say that I did Germany proud but I do have a significant list of beers and I want to share that with you. It is going to be fun to look back and recognize all these different flavours. Sadly I didn't think to compile the list until halfway into the trip so I've forgotten some names. I also should have developed a ranking system. I will say however that all of them (almost I think) were enjoyable, if not stupendous.

Now I'll tell you a beer story. The first night I was in Amsterdam I had arrived around 18:00 I think and I was not feeling overly hungry, but enough to know that I shouldn't wait very long because I was going to get hungry later. So I walked around and eventually saw a bar and decided to take a little peek in because I saw that they had food as well. So I went in and ordered my first beer. And of course in bars when you're alone you sit at the bar and chat it up with the bartender. There seemed to be others in the bar doing the same and so of course we all get to talking and through this chatting are able to recognize my beer passion. Then before I know it drinks are being placed in front of me so that I can try them. I tried one it was a rose beer - so it was like normal beer but with currant or some sort of red berry flavouring. Wouldn't try it again but I can say I have. I also had some belgian beers with almost 10% alcohol content. Then best part was the fact that they all come in special glasses. Then one of the guys noticed the beer didn't serve this one kind of beer and since he was a regular he asked if he could go bring back this type for me to sample. So he literally goes to another store and picks out three more beers so that I can try. I love this!!! Then everyone sitting at the bar all had a fun little sampling. Also if you are wondering...I did eat - It was falafel at about 1 in the morning and it was fantastic!

The pink dutch beer

 (didn't actually like it that much)




So here's the list (as written in my note book)
  • Heineken
  • Amstel
  • Grolsch
  • The Rose One
  • heffe (Belgium)
  • Westmalle (Belgium)
  • Hoegarden (Dutch)
  • Sion (this is a type of beer called Kölsch which is the local special in Köln. It was very light and cold and wonderful. Water for the Germans - but it was cool because we went to the brewhouse to eat and it was like these old ladies were having there kaffeeklatsch there. You don't see Oma's in Canada getting together to drink beer in a classy way at home.)
  • We tried another Kölsch back at the bar - I think it was called Dom 
  • Heffeweizen
  • König Ludwig Dunkel
  • Desperados (which is with tequila and is so perfect for mexican food)
  • Holstein
  • augustiner
  • König Ludwig Hell
  • Another one in Füssen that came in a green bottle - I drank it at a chinese food restaurant. The germans are experts on cooking chinese food...not
  • olivenbauern heim gemacht
  • stiegl parcelsus
  • stiegl gold
  • stiegl pils
  • leibinger
  • meckatzer
Not bad for three weeks - please don't ask me to choose a favorite

How am I going to survive on imports. Beer from the Fass (tap) is so much better!! My mother even found this. Prior to Europe she never thought she liked beer. Not that case anymore. She even ordered one to drink on her own. I think she surprised herself. I have never been more proud.



We also went to the stiegl Brauwelt. So fun seeing as it had been a favourite from home already.

Please don't think I'm an alcoholic. I'm just German!



No comments:

Post a Comment