Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I really shouldn't complain

So I'm just at the middle of my final week of travel. So far it has been amazing - obviously....

So today I went to do more historical adventures of discovery and I am really just getting tired. I know that I speak German but it is just so tiring when there is no english. In fact even though a lot of stuff is english I still have had little to no motivation to read because I have just had soo much information lately.

This could perhaps be indicative that solely reading is not my best learning style. Or it may just mean that I am getting lazy. I have had so much to think about and to digest that I am just having a tough time getting it all converted into long term memory. I know that there is a lot of information that I have heard more than once and a lot of little stories that I realize I really enjoyed at the time that I heard it, but they are just not getting retained. I guess that realistically you can't remember everything and I'm not going to be one of those people that tries to write it down to keep it all stored so that I can live up to my ultimate jeopardy championship dream. It was difficult for me not to have internet access for a while because there are a lot of dates that I would like to revisit and let the information absorb a little bit more but now all those things are forgotten. Podcasts were listened to multiple times and yet I still can't remember everything.

It's a little bit similar to those pictures that people take of the scenery or a church and then they get home and realize that there is no significance to that picture. My dad falls victim to this quite often and I won't say that I have never been guilty of this myself.

In Füssen which is the most adorable little town in the foothills of the Alps (and also the home of neuschwanstein) I was not motivated to discover and explore very much because it seems that a lot of things are just blending into one another. When I was talking to my dad prior to the trip and he was planning he kept reminding me that it was his and mothers vacation as well and that they were going to want to relax. Now that we're here that's not true. I actually didn't feel bad about passing up some museum time and just relaxing and drinking coffee and reading my book.

I guess I'm going to have to not get so tired of learning if I'm ever going to accomplish my goal of being the smartest person in the world


No comments:

Post a Comment