Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Fashion Star

I admit - I watch a lot of crappy TV. Reality shows, love em.

I usually like to watch programs in the evenings after work, and so I saw this Fashion Star show a few months ago and I love all these shows that have to do with design competitions, like project runway or work of art...etc. So I figured this show would be something along the lines.

I literally just watched the first five minutes and I will never be able to watch this show. The introduction basically explained the premise of the show and it is so transparently creepy that it just bothers me. Like it makes me shutter to think that there are people that will be so easily manipulated.

The premise of the show is that these upcoming fashion designers basically have their clothing lines bid on by buyers from saks, h&m and macys (I think). Then (I wasn't really paying attention at this part) you get to help decide who the grand ultimate winner is and they will have their stuff in all three stores. Here's the thing. The producers of this show do not give a shit about who wins, or developing and promoting new designers. This whole thing is an advertising campaign for the brands and the future clothing. By voting, which of course thousands of americans will waste money on, you are telling corporations what your tastes are, and they will use that in some algorithm to dictate which trends will come out next.

I just feel like this is a scene from a dystopian/futuristic movie in which you can buy things off of your tv etc. It's here people.

This is shocking to me that this show is even allowed to be on television.

And I'm interested in pursuing marketing?

No comments:

Post a Comment