Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kony

So of course by now you have heard about this make Kony famous campaign. If you read my blog, there's no way that you haven't heard about it. I'm not going to share the movie or posters because by now you probably know the whole story. It's pretty f'n crazy. I literally watched the video this morning because manny posted the video on his blog and I started to watch it before work.

I usually read my twitter during my break and it was all over twitter. Now I check my facebook and my blogs and it is everywhere. I am on the internet a lot - and man did this thing spread fast. I can't believe it - but I think that it goes to show how powerful this thing is when everyone will know who he is. It's sad that this video is only in english. I hope it gets translated into other languages because it would be awesome to literally unite the world in something like this.

But I'm also reading these people who are posting facebook statuses to the effect of - good for you for posting something in the status, it changes nothing unless you do something.

I've always been the kind of person that hates doing things just because that's the normal response so I'm very hesitant to get wrapped up by the dramatics of the whole situation but I think something really cool about this is that it is happening before the US election.

The basic goal of the campaign is to make people aware of who this kony guy is. Not to send us all into africa to go hunt him down - No that is going to be left up to professionals and governments. I'm intrigued by the fact that we can actually try to have an impact on controlling government. That could be a huge lesson to people about humankind and I think that this could end up being a huge social experiment and could turn into something more important than just capturing this man.

1 comment:

  1. What are the negative effects of this campaign

    ReplyDelete