Sunday, March 4, 2012

Special Edition Blog: Day 1 (as well)


On my way to work the other day the song ' youth of the nation' by POD came on - I know, super old school... to be honest I have no idea how it got on there. First off I want to say that for the ones who wonder it was it is awfully striking and poignant (editors note: I have no idea what this sentence was supposed to mean). It gets me thinking about a few things which I think is really the point of the song.

1st I thought about the whole columbine thing. If I had internet I would do some more research because I don't remember the details exactly. My summation of the story is these kids who were made fun of etc. decided to bring guns to school - and kill some people. Then I thought about what could get someone to actually kill people. This kind of things still is happening. At the time it seemed like a really big deal but I am sure I was to young to really comprehend the gravity of the situation

2nd I don't know why this was a common theme, but last semester belec, syl and I had a number of conversations about depression and suicide. Not that we were contemplating (don't worry). I think that it may have stemmed from many of the these debates and issues with gay teens committing suicide and issues with bullying. I understand that bullying will never end - not that it is right and we shouldn't do what we can do to prevent it, but we will never be able to eliminate it all together. But it's just weird to me that it is an issue with the younger generation. It seems that in general generations become more and more tolerant as time goes on - and in general I consider it is perfectly acceptable to be gay in the eyes of many of my peers. May not agree with it, but wouldn't go out of their way to discriminate. Perhaps it may just be a maturity thing.

3rd I thought about the kids that I worked with coming to the drop in centre run through youth for christ. Yu could tell there was a lot of hurt and as I listened to this song I wonder with these kids who are depressed and suicidal and believe that no one likes them - and what do I do - how do I respond? I hate to say this but it's highly likely that I would be to naive to realize there was an issue. I also realize that there are people who are just very socially awkward and have a tough time making friends. I can't fake a relationship with someone who I have nothing in common with either. It's just so hard - like what if one day I have kids that are like this - just have a difficult time socializing and fitting in. Like can it be nurtured or do these things occur naturally?

I feel like I need to talk a little bit more (this is me in real time - aka not hand written)


After I got my computer back I was able to see a trailer for a film called Bully which whoever does the film ratings wanted to rate it 18A meaning that kids who could be impacted by the film would not be able to see it. Please take a look at the trailer 





I just feel like kids don't listen to older people. Even myself as a kid I know that I was always to stubborn to ever listen to my parents and I agree that there are a lot of things that you need to experience for yourself to really understand things. Growing up and living is about making mistakes and learning from those experiences. Maybe these kinds of simulations that schools sometimes run are what is important for making change because it it shows them the other side of the situation. Realistically bullying is always rooted in some other kind of insecurity. I feel that for the most part bullying comes from the insecurities and inadequacies that are even more evident as teenagers, simply because the fact that we ourselves are learning who we are, and that the image that others see of us may differ from how we see ourselves. It's just such a complicated problem that is not easily solved. I think it's difficult as well to get kids to take things seriously and actually encourage them in thinking different. Teachers need to maybe find ways to be more inspirational. I think it's going to take a lot of small efforts by many different people to start making a difference. 


This recent shooting in ohio made me think about the hormones and irrationality of teenagers as well. Like this kid did not realize what he was doing when he went there. I read a report talking about what happened and he's only now just starting to grasp the reality of the situation. Like this kid has f-d his life over. He has killed four people. I think that until you see death it is hard to value life. I honestly feel bad for the kid - but can you imagine what kind of bullying must have happened with him to get him to that point. Reports from other kids say that they never really expected anything like that from him. Even in reports he said would have things written in his facebook status indicating morose topics and death and killing but death metal music says a lot of crazy stuff - it doesn't necessarily indicate someones intentions. 


I had a prof last year that was working on getting a bill through the government about workplace bullying and making it illegal. I understand that kids will be kids - but I don't think that it always stats that way. There needs to be some sort of change when they are young, and parents and leaders that start promoting tolerance.


I'm sorry for adding on so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment